- Lycopene, the red pigment in most tomatoes, has the most nutritional benefit when it is heated. So a sauce is more likely to provide more of this antioxidant than a fesh tomato.
- Orange or "tangerine" colored tomatoes provide more nutrition to humans than red tomatoes by being more "bioavailable". American Chemical Society (2007, February 6). The Tangerine: Top Tomato?. ScienceDaily.
- Despite claims to the contrary, most tomato varieties vary little in acidity. Rather it is the prescence of sugars and flavanoids (or lack thereof) which impart the perception of acidity.
- Tomato:chopped raw 1cup
- water content=94%
- vitamin A (RE)=204 (retinol equivalent)
- vitamin B6=.14mg
- folic acid=17 micrograms
- vitamin C=32mg (year round average, contents are higher in season, lower off season)
from "Nutrition: Concepts and Controversy" Hamilton, Whitney and Sizer, West Publishing 1988.
pH range for growing tomatoes
Tomatoes do best when grown in a pH range of 5.5-7.5
Optiumum temperatures for growth
Optiumum temperatures for growth are 65-80F/18-27C days and 60-65F/16-18C nights.
The largest tomato plant grown was of the cultivar 'Sungold' and reached 19.8 m (65 ft) in length, grown by Nutriculture Ltd (UK) of Mawdesley, Lancashire, UK
The largest fruit (7lbs 12 oz/3.51 kg) was grown by Gordon Graham of Edmond, Oklahoma.
FAQ from TAMU